The holiday season is a time for joy and celebration, but it’s also a time when package thefts tend to increase. With more people doing their shopping online and having packages delivered to their homes, package thefts tend to increase during this time of year. In fact, the estimated annual amount lost to package theft is a staggering $19.5 billion. Don’t let yourself fall victim to “porch pirates” – follow these tips to protect your packages and keep your holidays stress-free.
- Choose a delivery option that requires a signature: Many carriers offer options that require a signature upon delivery. This ensures that someone will be there to receive the package and helps prevent it from being left on your porch where it can be easily stolen.
- Use a package delivery lock box: A package delivery lock box is a secure container that can be placed on your porch or in your yard. It’s designed specifically for receiving packages, and it can be locked to prevent anyone from taking your packages.
- Consider a home security system: A home security system can help protect your home and your packages from being stolen. It can include features like video surveillance, motion detectors, and alarms that can alert you and the authorities if there is any suspicious activity.
- If you do have surveillance cameras, try setting up alerts: Many security systems offer the option to receive alerts when there is activity at your front door or when a package is delivered. This can help you stay informed and take action if necessary.
- Use smart locks: Smart locks allow you to remotely lock and unlock your doors, so you can let a trusted person (like a neighbor or relative) into your home to retrieve a package for you if you’re not home when it’s delivered.
- Have your packages delivered to a secure location: If you’re not home during the day or you’re worried about your packages being stolen, consider having them delivered to a secure location like a FedEx or UPS store. Many stores offer this service for free or for a small fee.
- Use package tracking: Many carriers offer package tracking, which allows you to see when your package is expected to be delivered and where it is in transit. This can help you plan to be home when your package arrives or arrange for someone else to be there to receive it.
By following these tips, you can protect your packages and keep your holidays happy and stress-free. Don’t let “porch pirates” ruin your holiday season – take action to protect your packages and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with it.